James D'Alton Murphy
"I believe that thorough preparation leads to a favorable outcome for our clients, whether at trial or by settlement."
Jim has extensive experience in many aspects of real estate, administrative law and litigation with a particular focus on zoning, environmental and related land use development matters.
Jim represents many clients in the real estate development and construction fields throughout the state. A major portion of his work is on referral from other attorneys and land use professionals.
Jim has represented the Darien Environmental Protection Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals for many years, and has also served as special counsel for the Town of Weston and the Town of Westport. Jim has been appointed as a Special Master and Mediator for the resolution of land use matters pending in the Superior Court.
- Connecticut, 1978
- New York, 1979
- Vermont, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1995
- Volunteer Attorney, Connecticut Legal Services, Inc.
- Lecturer at various Fairfield County Bar Association and Connecticut Bar Association land use seminars, 1998–present
- Member, Weston Planning & Zoning Commission, 1989–1993
- President, 2004–2005, and Director 1999–2006, Fairfield County Bar Association
- Co-chair, Land Use Committee, Fairfield County Bar Association, 1997–present
- Member, Executive Committee Section on Planning and Zoning, Connecticut Bar Association, 1998–present
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Fordham Law School, J.D., 1978
- Manhattanville College, B.A. in Economics, 1975
- Superior Court Special Master Mediator, 2005–present
- Counsel, Darien Planning and Zoning Commission, Environmental Protection Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals, 1980–2007
- Member, Weston Planning and Zoning Commission, 1989–1993
- First associated with Curtis, Brinckerhoff & Barrett, P.C. in Stamford in 1978 and was a partner for 23 years